The animated family film Despicable Me 2 was the top movie at the box office for the second weekend in a row, while the comedy Grown Ups 2 opened in second place, its $42.5 million take giving star Adam Sandler the second-best movie opening of his career after 2005’s The Longest Yard. A full cast of comedians, as well as former NBA star Shaquille O’Neal, join Sandler in the story of friends reconnecting and dealing with the craziness of their past and their kids’ last day of school before summer. Co-starring are Kevin James, Chris Rock, David Spade, Salma Hayek, Maya Rudolph, Maria Bello, Nick Swardson, Steve Buscemi, Colin Quinn and Tim Meadows.
Debuting at Number Three was the monster and robots action flick Pacific Rim. The film is about a washed-up pilot and a trainee who together are the world’s last hope of survival, driving robots called Jaegers to fight a war against monsters known as Kaiju, who have invaded Earth and threaten humanity. Co-starring are Idris Elba, Ron Perlman, Diego Klattenhoff, Charlie Day, and Max Martini.
THIS WEEKEND’S TOP TEN MOVIES — JULY 12-14
1. Despicable Me 2, $44.8 million
2. Grown Ups 2, $42.5 million
3. Pacific Rim, $38.3 million
4. The Heat, $14 million
5. The Lone Ranger, $11.1 million
6. Monsters University, $10.6 million
7. World War Z, $9.4 million
8. White House Down, $6.2 million
9. Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain, $5 million
10. Man of Steel, $4.8 million